Civil unions fundamentally equivalent to marriage
The differences are that marriage has a more expensive party. Any gap in laws that treat civil unions and marriage differently, tend to be oversights, and have no basis not to be normalized.
Permitting gay marriage will cause more gay unions
Of course it will. While this is often used as an argument by opponents of gay marriage, there is no reason that this is automatically good or bad. In fact:
- More choice on who they can bond with without cultural/legal punishment is more choice and freedom for them.
- If other men choose to bond with men, then that leaves more women available to bond with you, and enhances your competitive position to complete heterosexual relationships.
- Forcing other men to marry women reduces the supply of women available for you to marry.
- The same freedom and competitive advantages apply to you.
- But, if there is more cultural stigma for male homosexuality, then oppressing men into being forced to marry women, is coercive market power forcing demand bias towards you.
- If they can support many wives and children, then it enhances their choices and freedom to do so.
- Restricting the freedom of polygamy, can force women to bond with only the most desirable unattached male, and so enhance the "market value" of those without the financial power to support many wives and children.
- Substantial increase in market value if attached men are available men. The choice and freedom to join a polygamous union.
- Restricting polygamy can coerce and limit your existing husband's choices.
- Unlike welfare, you keep all of the earnings that you earn.
- More money is better than less money
- You may take a month long vacation, but the drive to self-actualize is stronger if your basic needs are met, and there is no loss in benefits to self-actualize.
- Any job offer with sufficiently high pay and work conditions will find someone to fill/accept it. So all needed social and economic functions will be completed.
As a man, lowered stigma for homosexuality, gives every man more choices that advantages every other man. Ideological coercion for gender relations or for work, detracts from every person's morally selfish interests, and so necessarily, collective interests as well.